After a long spate of let downs trying to buy stuff from people on Facebook Marketplace (who knew it would be so damned hard to buy stuff!), I finally stumbled across this deal on a box of assorted CD’s being sold in the town. A few messages later to the seller, and it was agreed I could pick up the items that evening as the seller was 5 minutes away from my workplace.
I probably could have haggled on the price, but following my disappointing run of haggling on Facebook that week I was happy to just pay the full asking price.
I was pleased with this pick-up, the seller was moving house and wanting to ‘down-size’ so was selling a lot various items they no longer wanted. It was nice to be able to step into the home of the seller too, which gave me confidence that I wasn’t buying a box of scrap. I didn’t get much of a chance to check through what was there, and I am still working through the box even at the point of writing this post.
Although not much of a boon, the seller also gave me a sandwich bag of loose CD’s (which I usually avoid) which have made interesting listening fodder in the Micra.
Purchase Location: Facebook Marketplace
Purchase Price: £10 (122 units at £0.08ea)
New Collection / Queue Items: 34
Discogs Store Fodder: 52
Re-seller Junk: 0
Added to Collection / Listening Queue
- Alanis Morissette – Jagged Little Pill [r443973]
- Alien Ant Farm – ANThology [r1487775]
- Antony and the Johnsons – I Am A Bird Now [r398081]
- Aphex Twin – Come to Daddy [r6157]
- Artful Dodger – It’s All About the Stragglers [r101157]
- The Beautiful South – 0898 Beautiful South (RP) [r9225535]
- Bloc Party – Silent Alarm [r5333537]
- Blondie – The Best of Blondie [r3293604]
- The Corrs – Talk On Corners (RE) [r719442]
- Fugees – The Score [r227673] Replaced an existing collection copy of poorer condition
- Les Claypool Presents Gabby La La – Be Careful What You Wish For… [r1698158]
- Living Colour – Vivid [r409121]
- Kylie – Fever [r7326812]
- Kylie – Light Years [r2361089]
- Madonna – Ray of Light [r74027]
- One Day As A Lion – One Day As A Lion [r2391513]
- Paul Robeson – The Voice Of The Mississippi (20 Great Songs) [r6255074]
- Paul Simon – Graceland (RE) [r2311991]
- Paul Weller – Illumination [r1447627]
- Portishead – Dummy [r11454122] I’m really happy I finally found this again on physical release! As I passed up a chance years ago to buy it.
- The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers [r7995394]
- Sigur Rós – Takk… [r520116]
- Spin Doctors – Pocket Full of Kryptonite [r8964863]
- Skunk Anansie – Paranoid & Sunburnt [r11346334]
- Skunk Anansie – Stoosh [r2333278]
- Staind – Break The Cycle [r2070578]
I already have a copy of this for sale in the store, but I have never actually listened to the album…
- The Strokes – Room on Fire [r373881]
- Texas – The Hush [r6848918]
- Various – Cocktail Trilogy [r11932590]
Surprisingly good box-set of easy-listening classics. Great background music for working or listening to in the car. Nice selection of tracks.
- Various – Heartbreakers [r1332516]
Only kept because it has The Korgis on it – will check it out in more depth later…
- Various – The Greatest Moments in Soul [r11879368]
- The Verve – Urban Hymns [r2712992]
- Weezer – Weezer/The Green Album [r7265819]
- The Zutons – Who Killed… The Zutons [r682838]
Listed on Discogs
ABBA – Gold (Greatest Hits) (30th Anniversary Edition) [r4342678]
- Annie Mawson – Angels Voices Ever Singing [r11922513] An unusual occurrence of a very independent release actually released on a properly pressed CD. Not really my thing being religious celtic music so this one can go up for sale, however I fear it may take years to shift.
- Athlete – Tourist [r502894]
- Athlete – Vehicles & Animals [r494268]
- Badly Drawn Boy – Have You Fed The Fish? [r680052957]
- Badly Drawn Boy – The Hour of Bewilderbeast [r123415]
This is one of those releases that haunt me. I have another identical copy I am also selling and haven’t shifted for a good few years. May end up being trashed.
- Badly Drawn Boy – One Plus One Is One [r4572586]
- Barber – Adaigo – Violin Concerto [r11920994]
- Battles – EP C / B EP [r620246]
- Bette Midler – The Best Bette [r4345668]
- Björk – Debut [r7417638] Would have kept this one as it is an original pressing and 100% clean CD, however the slight water damage on the rear cover lets it down immensely – hopefully it will sell being a desirable 90s classic…
- Blur – 13 [r368294]
- Blur – Blur [r368274] Another occurance of duplicate items for sale – however this is a different pressing in a slightly better condition. Britpop is a funny thing to sell – some go quick, others hang around forever, and ever, and ever….
- Blur – Think Tank [r9729550]
- Charlotte Church – Charlotte Church [r1595235]
- Charlotte Church – Enchantment [r3544391]
- Ennio Morricone – The Music Of Ennio Morricone [r1663909]
- Il Divo – Siempre [r10708887]
My aim with this album is to finally get a sale in Japan… I saw a commercial while over there in 2016 and they seem to be a big deal!
- Jay Z & Kanye West – Watch The Throne [r3086310] I already own a copy of this fantastic hip-hop album
- Katherine Jenkins – Living A Dream [r898140]
- Kesha – Animal [r2187809]
- KT Tunstall – Eye to the Telescope [r505178] Not a bad album, but so horrendously popular that its value has plummeted through the surface of the earth.
- Nelly – Nellyville [r262645]
- No Doubt – Tragic Kingdom [r4100240]
Fantastic album in immaculate condition. But I already have a copy!
- Oasis – Be Here Now [r390992]
Papa Roach – Infest [r2477142]
I already have this CD in my collection, guilty pleasures-r-us!
- Pixie Lott – Turn It Up [r1961933]
This one is slightly better condition – but man I hate dupes!
- Pixie Lott – Turn It Up [r1961933]
- The Police – Ghost in the Machine (RE) (RP) [r6375005]
- The Priests – Harmony [r4744166]
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Aeroplane (LE) [r471600] Interesting release, being numbered. Fantastic condition to boot, however I simply don’t collect singles. Hopefully this will go to a big fan of RHCP…
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – By The Way [r2991485]
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Can’t Stop [r2523234]
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Can’t Stop [r2016920]
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Fortune Faded [r1326982]
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Higher Ground [r3484541]
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – My Friends [r4982570]
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Otherside [r623095]
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Scar Tissue [r375957]
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Under The Bridge [r471625]
Red Hot Chili Peppers – Under The Bridge (LE) [r471620]
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Universally Speaking [r2231890]
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – The Zephyr Song [r692051]
- Roni Size / Reprazent – In The Møde [r136449]
- Russell Watson – Outside In – The Voice [r2241309] I have limited knowledge when it comes to classical recordings, but I feel that this will not likely sell.
- Stereophonics – Just Enough Education To Perform [r702238]
- Sugababes – Taller in More Ways [r685165] Attempting sale due to immaculate condition of item, otherwise would be simply cast off to reseller or into the trash…
- Tchaikovsky – The Masterpieces [r1013545]
- Tori Amos – Under The Pink [r740447] I love Tori’s music and this is one of my favourite albums of all time, but there is no point in owning duplicates of it! I’ve listed it much higher than average and there is a lot of competition – but I feel it’s worth it.
- Travis – The Man Who [r2399116]
- Various – A Taste of Italian Passion [r11922611]
The first of a few promotional releases in this box, this one for Dolmio cooking sauces. I’m selling this as I don’t really like Dolmio nor opera music so this just doesn’t do it for me. Interesting item though.
- Various – The Best of… James Bond [r369221]
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart / London Philharmonic Orchestra / Alfred Scholz – Jupiter-Symphonie [r2187549]
Sold via Other Means
- SM:tv Live – Karaoke Hits [r12003260]
Unfortunately I do not have a CDG (Karaoke) player to make use of this set, nor would I probably ever use this set if I did. It’s also a boxset which means selling it on Discogs is a nightmare – so this will go to auction for someone else to make use of.
- Various – Discover The Classics [r12003332]
Only selling via other means because I just don’t sell box-sets – too much of a hassle to ship. Seems like a decent budget set.
- Al Jolson – Al Jolson – Volume I : Stage Highlights 1911-25 [r11929153]
No point in listing this as it is ex-library which means the quality is poor.
- Bryn Terfel – Bryn [r5257962]
- Celine Dion – The Colour Of My Love (RE) [r1881237] Disc is in such poor condition and along with the low value of this item it is not worth even attempting a repair/resurface
- The Choir Of Hereford Cathedral – Howells From Hereford [r11933058]
Would go up for sale however the whole release stinks of tobacco smoke, so will go in the bin instead.
- Daniel O’Donnell – Early Memories [r11934042]
- George Michael – You Have Been Loved E.P. [r433179]
Unfortunately this release is in such a poor state (deep scratches) I couldn’t even consider selling it. Even though it is regarded as an EP, it sells for CDS money.
- Jackie Evancho – Dream With Me [r4820185] Goddamn Syco Music, dammit Simon – just release the damn albums as MP3 only please!
- Judy Garland – Those Were The Days [r11911783] This release would have been put up for sale if it wasn’t for the toxic smell of smoke that hit my face when I opened up the jewel case. This will be a waste of time trying to sell. Uncertain if it would sell being such a budget release, however the audio contained is of very good quality.
- Justin Bieber – My Worlds [r3536177] I’m trying to expand my knowledge when it comes to general pop, but I’m still not really there for young Bieber. I probably never will. Turns out music collectors are also on my ship, 31 listed for sale with one being sold (NM/NM) for 1p 2 years ago. Not going to waste my time, and resellers don’t even want it. In the bin…
- Katherine Jenkins – Believe [r4891737]
Disc only – wrecked
- Leona Lewis – Spirit [r1178671]
God damn this release, I find it everywhere. Leona’s music isn’t exactly terrible but it depreciates quicker than a new Mercedes.
- Leona Lewis – Spirit [r1178671] I am starting to wonder what the previous owner did with all these duplicates… disc only on this one
- Lesley Garrett – Amazing Grace [r8871506] Ultimately nothing wrong with the release, just that it’s packaged in one of those dreadful SUPER JEWEL BOXES that means I can’t flat pack it easily – so it goes in the bin as I can’t be waiting 5 years for someone to buy it for pennies.
- Maroon 5 – Songs About Jane [r1123113]
Too common, too poor condition to sell. Shame as I think its one of the best pop albums ever made.
- Military Wives – In My Dreams [r7421327]
Not worth the hassle. There are hundreds of copies in charity shops for the same reason that there are hundreds of copies of Susan Boyle CD’s.
- Olivia Newton-John – Indigo – Women of Song [r1272903]
Once again disc chew toy. Shame as it does seem to sell well(ish) on Discogs.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Road Trippin’ [r888354] Shame as the disc isn’t too bad, a few scratches. But the inlay has serious water damage.
- Ronan Hardiman – Michael Flatley’s Lord Of The Dance – Three Sensational Tracks From The New Album [r5709748]
With 20 already for sale, way below my lowest price point threshold, this just doesn’t seem to be worth anything to anyone.
- Ronan Keating – Ronan [r1890105]
It wouldn’t be a UK haul without it. Disc only, and it’s ruined. Sandwich bags are no replacement for jewel cases. Surprisingly I sold this only a few weeks ago to a guy buying a whole load of punk/rock music – I was bemused to say the least.
- Russell Watson – La Voce [r4251996]
Not worth trying to sell.
- Russell Watson – The Platinum Collection [r10697266]
Would have gone up for sale if the cover hadn’t been so warped – not even worth it.
- Space – Tin Planet [r379429]
Well I found where all the weird muck was coming from… there is a strange white substance stuck to the cover. I don’t want to even touch this CD anymore than I have… I hope its sugar.
- Sugababes – Angels With Dirty Faces [r444031] Ruined disc, no big loss though
- Susan Boyle – I Dreamed A Dream [r2016020]
I have nothing against Susan Boyle. I find her music very middle of the road, and unfortunately charity shops are filled with this damn CD from all the old biddies who bought it and the promptly popped off. Luckily this one didn’t even have the CD, although I did later find it in the bag of loose discs.
- Tom Jones – Tom Jones [r2714193] Even charity shops don’t want these newspaper CD’s. Sometimes I can sell them to international buyers who don’t realise how many of these there are in the country, but this one is missing the sleeve.
- Turin Brakes – Ether Song [r1206632]
Personally I find Turin Brakes to be possibly the most generic boring ‘rock’ music I’ve ever heard, so little wonder that even special editions of their albums aren’t selling.
- Unknown – Christmas Singalong [r11928789]
Although it is an oddities release, which I do normally try to sell, I just know that no one is going to be interested in this very generic Christmas album.
- Various – Classics 2002 (2CD) [r7110030] No sales data on Discogs for this item, however with 23 listed and with none being sold (starting at £0.49) doesn’t bode well. Appears to be a cheap release from Decca from 2001, probably worth more being recycled than clogging up space…
- Various – The Best Songs From The Musicals Disc 2 Broadway Hits [not on discogs] Here we go with these damned three disc box sets where I only end up with one of the bleeding discs. Free jewel case though.
- Various – Forever Friends (2CD) [r7325439]
Second release that is absolutely truly fucked. Holy shit, this one looks like it was used to scrub the dishes. And It only has CD2!
- Various – Last Choir Standing [r4037753]
- Various – Midsummer Classics (2CD) [not on discogs] I was intending to add this to the Discogs database but the booklet has fused shut so I can’t be bothered anymore.
- Various – Now That’s What I Call Music! 46 [r1173964]
- Various – Now That’s What I Call Music! 80 [r3262667]
Discs only. From the sandwich bag.
- Various – The Opera Album 2002 (2CD) [r8548704]
- Various – Xtra 80’s Hits [r2474425]
Err, this is a bit odd… no disc, no rear inlay… just the cover?
- Vera Lynn – The Best of Vera Lynn [r10156181]
The first of this box that I came across that looks like a dogs used it as a chew toy. This CD has probably rolled around the carpet of a car for most of its life. Not too much of a loss as it is only a cheap Spectrum release.
- Vera Lynn – The Best of Vera Lynn [r10156181]
Once again, not a typo – no this is a duplicate of the previous but in even worse condition and only the disc!
- Westlife – Coast to Coast [r10537847]
- Westlife – Coast to Coast [r691164] No this isn’t a typo, I opened the case (which was covered in a nice brown goo… mmmm!) to find not one but TWO worthless Westlife CD’s. Maybe I have a stronger hatred for this album than others, but my god I really do hate this CD. One CD was in such piss poor condition it could barely suffice as a coaster, the other one slightly better (playable) but not worth diddly squat. In the bin, with the sticky jewel case.
Item List Explained
My item lists are pretty self-explanatory however just in case let’s go over the terms and categories used here:
- Added to Collection / Listening/Play/Watch Queue
These items are added to my personal collection, or that I have set aside to listen to/play/watch at a later date as I feel they might be something I would otherwise enjoy. Items here can move into other categories depending if they pass the preliminary listen/play/watch phase. Items that are formatted with a
strikethroughare no longer in my collection/queue.
- Listed on Discogs [Music Only]
These items are straight flipped and listed on my Discogs store. All items are visually checked. I try and avoid selling anything less than a VG grade, unless it’s a special item or I am just feeling exceptionally lucky on the day of listing. I simply do not see the point in re-fuelling the market with poor examples for popular items. Items that were previously in the collection/queue category usually will have a playback guarantee. Items that are formatted with a
strikethroughhave been successfully sold on Discogs.
- Sold via Other Means
These items are again straight flipped but via various means. Selling to entertainment exchanges like CeX, MusicMagpie or Ziffit. This also includes items given away to friends/family as gifts, or sold on to others. I will usually send most items regardless of visual condition as the curators at these companies will usually weed out the bad examples – I have wasted too many hours in the past cleaning up items for them to fail inspection. Most items in this category (that are not going as gifts) are of low-value, or are a slow-sell on Discogs (flavour of the week pop music, classical, compilations)
These items are either of such poor condition they are not worth selling, completely worthless (not even reseller companies will take them) or are incomplete (multi-disc sets missing discs, loose discs, water damage, disc rot etc). These are a considered a complete loss and will usually be destroyed/sent for recycling. I have a strong stance on these items, I do not want to see them back in circulation as they have no value and simply pollute an already polluted marketplace.
Each item will have a relevant product page link (music = Discogs, books = Bookogs, films = filmogs etc.). Items are listed in the following formats:
[Artist] – [Title] [Pressing Information] [URL]
[Title] [Pressing/Packaging Information] [URL]
- Video Games
[Title] [Packaging Information] [URL]
[Title] [Condition] [URL]
The following acronyms are used:
- RP – Repress
- RE – Reissue
- LE – Limited Edition
- SE – Special Edition
- CE – Collectors Edition
- CDS – CD Single
- GOTY – Game of the Year Edition